North Central Plains Facts and History
The state of Texas is divided into four natural regions including the Gulf Coastal Plains, the Mountains, the High Plains, and the North Central Plains. Not surprisingly, each region contains its own landforms and other types of geography. For instance, the Gulf Coastal Plains contain the Piney Woods and Blackland Prairie. Alternatively, the North Central Plains have rolling plains and prairies as well as lakes. By looking at a geographical map, a person can see the different regions of Texas. In addition, there are varieties of climates within the enormous state of Texas. The North Central Plains of Texas are mostly made up of grassy prairie land. The climate of this area is semi-arid and drought is a familiar occurrence. The amount of precipitation in the North Central Plains is approximately 30 to 50 inches per year. Many types of wildlife make their home on the North Central Plains of Texas. For instance, the bald eagle, peregrine falcon, and burrowing owl can be seen there. Furthermore, the coyote, gray fox, badger, and desert mule deer live in the North Central Plains. The Brazos River and the Red River are sources of water in the region. When it comes to major cities in the North Central Plains area Abilene, Amarillo, and Wichita Falls are three examples. The following are a number of resources to help a person learn more about Texas and its North Central Plains region.
- Physiographic Map of Texas: (PDF) Study a physiographic map of Texas and learn about the topography as well as the geologic structure of the North Central Plains. Also, read information about the soil, rocks, and other formations of the North Central Plains.
- Information about the Natural History of North Central Texas: Read about the fauna, flora, and weather as well as other components in the natural history of North Central Texas.
- Maps of Texas: Peruse the collection of maps that point out the natural features in regions of Texas including the North Central Plains.
- Facts about North Central Plains Texas: Learn about the wildlife, rivers, rainfall, vegetation, and more located in North Central Texas. Also, find some fun activities for kids.
- Texas Information: A gathering of information on Texas (including the North Central Plains) that includes facts about education, culture, tourism, climate, and much more.
- Information on the Cap Rock Escarpment: Read about the Cap Rock Escarpment, a land formation that is located near the North Central Plains area.
- Historical Facts about Abilene: Discover a history of Abilene that contains information about the people and events that helped to create it. Also, read some other important information about Abilene.
- Information Regarding Edwards Plateau: Learn about Edwards Plateau that borders the area of North Central Plains.
- Natural Regions of Texas: Find an illustration of the natural regions of Texas including a look at the North Central Plains.
- Wildlife of Texas: Discover details about several types of wildlife found in Texas.
- Timeline of the Brazos River: Learn about the history of the Brazos River in Texas via this timeline.